Natural Farming News Self Sustained

HAY-BALE-GARDENING-POTATOES:YOU’LL NEVER GROW POTATOES ANY OTHER WAY AGAIN ! STEP BY STEP FULL GUIDE

Potato harvest from bales is easy, with no fork or shovel, simply cut the strings and kick over the bales, and pick up the potatoes. No marks on the potatoes from the forks or shovels, so they will store well, unblemished. Wrap them in brown paper, this helps them store longer. Keep them in a dry cool place, and check your stock often, tossing out any that have gotten soft or begun to rot. You’ll have delicious potatoes until the following summer when new stock will be ready again.

In normal soil gardens it is important to hill up the soil around the stem as the potato emerges. This is important because potatoes form on on the stem not on the roots. If planted too deep in the soil, the stem has a hard time emerging, because it cannot push up more than a few inches of soil. In a straw bale, we simply plant the potato cutting deep into the bale.

While a bale may be 20″ high, we will plant 16-18″ deep in a “crack” in the bale. The looseness of the bale will allow the stem to easily reach the surface, and the potatoes will form along this stretch of stem, filling the bale with potatoes. I suggest two or three potatoes in a bale, even while planting other crops on the surface of the bale.

These “surface” plantings will be harvested early before the potato vine has stretched its way above and around the bale. Wait for the vine to flower and this is the earliest the potatoes will be ready, however waiting for the vine to wither later in the fall will allow the potatoes inside to mature a bit longer.

Try Hay Bale Gardening, especially if you like potatoes, you’ll never go back to growing potatoes in the soil. Growing potatoes any other way will seem silly once you’ve done it this way.0

The bale set-up was actually a thrill. Maybe it’s an unfulfilled interest in engineering, but I really enjoyed the challenge of locating and grouping the bales in full sun, amongst a system of north-south lines between posts that I drove into the ground myself with a post pounder.

I enjoyed stringing an espalier wire system (trellis) between the posts, as I imagined great climbing cucumbers, beans and tomatoes.

When the bale conditioning was done and early May rolled around, the planting also was fun. No deep knee bends. No shins caked with dirt. No worry about compacting the soil. The straw bales top out at nearly two feet above ground, so they are ergonomically better even than raised beds for the gardener’s comfort while planting, watering, maintaining and harvesting.

TIPS FOR GARDENING

Pre-Planting: experimenting with a couple spare hay bales

Motivated by the set-up process, I couldn’t wait for the conditioning to be over, so decided to experiment with a couple “naturally preconditioned” bales of horse hay I’d used to help insulate my beehives over the winter. (Note: Most hay contains lots of seeds that threaten to become weeds.

It also lacks straw’s ideal moisture-holding hollow stems. However, horse hay falls halfway between cattle hay and straw: it is mainly hollow-stemmed grasses without lots of seedy plants.) So just as an experiment, I used the breaking-down bee bales to get a head start at planting. 0

Preparing to plant wild potatoes.

With a trowel, I wedged deep openings and dropped in 4 or 5 sprouting eyes of some old sprouting gold potatoes. Then filled each hole with organic soil.

Also dropped in some sections of wild potatoes, something I’d never seen before and picked at a farmer’s market in San Francisco. To date, a few hills of Golds have emerged and look pretty happy to be nestled into hay bales.

Planting: straw bales conditioned and ready

When my bales were fully conditioned the straw was nicely decomposing, its stiffness softened and easy to plunge a trowel into. So, it was time to treat myself to a trip to Seed Savers, just north of Decorah, for some heirloom plants. Tomatoes and peppers are my favorite homegrown vegetables. After choosing from so many beautiful and unusual varieties, I am inspired to try and make it to Seed Savers’ famous late summer tomato tasting.

RECOMMENDED : NEXT TIME IF YOU SEE THIS PLANT ON YOUR YARD, NEVER PULL IT OUT – HERE’S WHY!

Yukon golds

To plant my starts, I scooped trowel-fulls of soil into each planting spot, gauging three tomatoes per bale or five pepper plants or a checkerboard of offset patches of greens and cucumbers.

Carrots, beets and beans I planted in straight, close-together rows. I made sure to save a little leftover straw bale so I could add plants from Lanesboro Farmer’s Market.

And I’ll plan to replace early lettuces with cold-hardy kale and arugula later in the season.

A couple humbling planting points I learned that will promise a better straw bale garden next year:

• Use a light potting mix, not the rich, dense composted soil which cakes and hardens as it dries out, making it hard for tiny sprouts to erupt.

• Don’t confuse bush beans with climbing beans. I was pleased to recall from childhood my mom soaked the bean seeds to help them sprout sooner.

• So the beans came up in three days! But I had to plant a second row when I realized the first planting was actually the short bushy variety – not the climbers that would actually use the trellis wires I’d set up for them. I enjoy pickled string beans and have practiced two years now to put up bean pickles that don’t shrink and wrinkle due to too strong a vinegar mix. This year, I’ll have extras to practice getting the juiciness right.

• Don’t fertilize new tomato plants. While testing out an original Rhubarb-Stinging Nettle recipe for the Rhubarb Festival’s tasting attraction, I ended up with a lot of nettles stems and scraps. So I brewed up some of that great natural fertilizing tea that fermenting nettles are famous for. Maybe the tea was a bit strong. The result: my young heirloom transplants yellowed — from the overdose of nitrogen that their root systems weren’t mature enough to handle? Maybe a wise gardener reading this could better explain.

Beans…and some mushrooms.

Watering: keeping the bales moist.

The plan was to set up a fully automatic system on a timer that could function on its own – especially when I need to be away for a few days. No dragging out hoses. No standing over plants, watering each and every one.

So I dedicated a few hoses to the project, buried one that crosses the mowed lawn, added splitters with switch valves that allow me to water new fruit trees planted along my approach to the straw bale site: a bonus that bodes well for a bounty of future fruit.

A second hose splitter junction near the straw bales lets me automatically or manually trigger the soaker hose. The soaker is buried across a mowed area surrounding the bales, then snakes up and down each row of bales. The buried segments of the hose were neatly duct taped to minimize water waste.

Heirloom tomatoes

There seems to be a learning curve to getting the soaker hose right. It’s a mystery how much water is delivered and whether that water reaches the plants’ roots. How effective is the duct tape, really, in blocking segments of the soaker hose? In the meantime, I enjoy hand-watering and inspecting the garden close-up each morning. When I have to be out-of-town, I’ll take my chances with the automatic backup.

Another bonus.

Since the hay bale garden is on the way to our chicken coop and on the way back from the horse barn, it’s kind of fun to add a stop along the way as my husband and I make the rounds each morning and evening to watch our vegetables growing and enjoy knowing we’re a little more in control of what we eat.

It’s too early to tell whether this gardening method will yield that perfect garden I began to imagine in that Straw Bale Gardening class. But since it’s all just a fun experiment, I keep in mind that the worst that can happen is that I am left with nothing but some good compost (composted straw makes good, clean, rich, weed-free soil that could easily translate into a healthy, chemical-free, nutrient-rich raised-bed garden in any future year.) Either way, it’s a win – and a curious new spin for putting vegetables on the table.

Source:http://simplegoodandtasty.com

Related posts

“Playing God”: HAARP Weather Control – A Terrifying Look at The Control of Weather Warfare

Medeea Greere

COVID-19: A Crisis Fit For a “New World Order” – “A One World Order”

Medeea Greere

23 Of The Funniest Romanian Expressions ! (video)

Medeea Greere

“Operation Cloverleaf”: The Most Dangerous Weapons Testing Program In World History

Medeea Greere

The Library Backdrop Debacle = Clones Filmed in Same Library Room at GITMO

Medeea Greere

FEMA Death Camp of The MOJAVE and Red/Blue List Under Martial Law

Medeea Greere

46 comments

Hung Iller September 19, 2020 at 7:15 pm

After I initially left a comment I appear to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on each time a comment is added I recieve four emails with the exact same comment. Perhaps there is an easy method you are able to remove me from that service? Many thanks!

https://golddealers.directory October 13, 2020 at 1:09 pm

I absolutely love your blog and find almost all of your post’s to be just what I’m looking for. Would you offer guest writers to write content for you? I wouldn’t mind producing a post or elaborating on some of the subjects you write regarding here. Again, awesome web log!

www.ebstudiointerior.com October 15, 2020 at 2:22 pm

My search mores than. You offered the responses that I have been searching for. Thanks for composing such an interesting article. I will read a whole lot even more of your web content.

sòng bài casino campuchia October 16, 2020 at 4:05 am

There are some fascinating points in time in this article however I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There may be some validity but I’ll take maintain opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we would like extra! Added to FeedBurner as nicely

Anc Corp October 16, 2020 at 9:09 am

I just wished to take a moment to let you understand that I enjoy I discovered this blog post on your blog site. You have gone above as well as beyond in your research. I want to learn more messages about this subject on your blog site in the future. Thank you a lot for ensuring I do not have to browse the internet for this topic any much longer.

Visit Home Page October 17, 2020 at 3:43 am

Hello! I’m savoring the information. Fantastic weblog and awesome style and design.

Anccorp October 18, 2020 at 8:25 am

Ultimately, I have located the details that I was looking for. Thanks for creating this helpful blog post. It has made my study go far more efficiently. I recognize that will really feel similarly as well as do strategy to share your article with others.

Qiyuan October 19, 2020 at 8:38 am

I have actually invested a great deal of time searching for this type of information on other blog sites. I desire that I had located your own sooner. You gave much more detail than any type of various other blog I have watched. Thanks for your initiatives and also I hope to read other posts on this subject from you soon.

https://thuocladientu123.com February 11, 2021 at 11:50 pm

Best view i have ever seen !

https://topphimhot.net February 23, 2021 at 12:11 pm

Best view i have ever seen !

https://www.shinsen-mart.com February 28, 2021 at 4:14 pm

Best view i have ever seen !

https://www.songmanhits.com March 4, 2021 at 8:40 pm

Best view i have ever seen !

executive resume vaughan March 10, 2021 at 10:10 pm

Currently, organizations must be shown the unique job title you are hoping to apply for – while a general resume never has it. In addition, they quickly want to determine what positively sets you apart – while a general resume causes you to appear like a clone of the hundreds of general resumes they’ve already received.

executive resume writing canada March 17, 2021 at 9:13 pm

These days, organizations need to have the specific work title you intend to apply for – and a general resume never has that. In addition, they instantly wish to learn what positively differentiates you – and a general resume compels you to appear just like the tons of general resumes they’ve already had dropped on them.

executive resume writing toronto March 22, 2021 at 12:12 am

Resume phrases as for example “professional”, hurt your resume. They look cliche and don’t position you in a positive way. This is also true for a term like “self-motivated”. The right terms point out things you achieved for your previous companies and also how useful you would be to this potential hiring decision-maker.

resumes ontario March 24, 2021 at 3:24 am

Don’t lose the job by submitting a general resume! All a general resume does, is show how you look like all the other applicants – not how you stand out from your competitors for the same employment.

professional resume writing vaughan March 29, 2021 at 5:01 pm

Resume text like “accomplished”, are a problem. They make you sound cliche and fail to present you in a positive light. This is also true for text such as “reliable”. The best terms reinforce what you did while working for your former employment plus how beneficial you are going to be to this future organization.

https://www.songmanhits.com March 31, 2021 at 10:24 am

I have never seen this view !

resume writer barrie April 2, 2021 at 1:10 am

In the past, every resume commenced by presenting an Objective Statement – but no more! Knowledgeable employment experts all confirm, this category of phrases do nothing when evaluating your employment skills. This means, do not write an Objective Statement!

executive resume writing ottawa April 5, 2021 at 10:36 pm

The rule was, resumes opened by presenting an Objective Statement – but not now! Savvy employment specialists all state clearly, these types of statements do nothing when evaluating your occupation suitability. Therefore, never write an Objective Statement!

resume barrie April 9, 2021 at 4:36 pm

When you are hunting for work, first impressions are very important! And the absolute first impression companies learn about you – is an expert-written cover letter.

Patricia Colflesh April 12, 2021 at 12:38 am

Lovely website! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more. I am taking your feeds also.

professional resume toronto April 13, 2021 at 3:41 am

Avoid losing the job offering by sending them a general resume! What a general resume does, is show how you blend into the background – not how you outdo your competition for the same job.

professional resume writing toronto April 14, 2021 at 5:16 pm

Resume text like for instance “highly skilled”, are damaging. They look cliche and do not present you in a positive light. Similarly for a term like “reliable”. The best phrases reinforce things you did while at your previous employers and also how useful you are going to be to this future organization.

professional resume writers toronto April 17, 2021 at 7:45 pm

In today’s job market, organizations do not go through each of the 500 plus resumes received – for a single job offering! In actual fact, they will quickly throw out 90 of them, if the resume fails to capture the reader’s attention.

professional resume writing vaughan April 20, 2021 at 2:52 pm

You should verify that the cover letter grabs your prospective employer, reassures them, and also encourages them to go through your resume so they decide to invite you for an interview. Due to the large amount of resumes submitted to every employment offer currently, your cover letter typically becomes the leading decision factor as to if you score an interview – or get trashed into the garbage!

professional resume writing toronto April 28, 2021 at 3:45 pm

In today’s job market, organizations don’t look at each of the four hundred or higher resumes submitted – for a single job offering! In actual fact, they’ll quickly throw away 95 of them, if the resume does not manage to win their attention.

professional resume writer toronto May 2, 2021 at 2:53 pm

In today’s job market, organizations won’t look at each of the five hundred or higher resumes dumped on them – per employment opening! In reality, they’ll instantly trash 95 of them, if the resume does nothing to seize their interest.

professional resumes ontario May 5, 2021 at 2:47 pm

As you’re trying to find hired, first impressions are top priority! And the best first impression hiring decision-makers know of you – is the cover letter.

professional resume writer toronto May 8, 2021 at 4:37 pm

Current hiring decision-makers do not read each of the 500 or higher resumes dumped on them – for just one job offering! Rather, they’ll gladly throw away 95 of them, if any resume does nothing to grab their attention.

executive resume writing ontario May 11, 2021 at 3:34 pm

While you’re trying to find an occupation, first impressions are top priority! And the most common first impression employers have of you – is your cover letter.

professional resume writing service toronto May 14, 2021 at 3:45 pm

You need to verify that the cover letter attracts your future company, presents you in the most positive light, and also entices them to look at your resume so they will contact you for the interview. With the large amount of resumes submitted to every employment offer currently, an expertly-written cover letter frequently becomes the foremost determining factor as to if you score an interview – or get discarded into the garbage!

Reynaldo Cutshall May 16, 2021 at 10:28 am

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

carslot88 May 16, 2021 at 6:06 pm

I will right away clutch your rss feed as I can not in finding your
e-mail subscription link or newsletter service. Do you’ve
any? Kindly permit me recognize in order that I could subscribe.
Thanks.

professional resumes ontario May 17, 2021 at 12:02 pm

Prevent losing the job being hired by sending them a general resume! What a general resume does, is show how you fade into the crowd – not how you surpass your rivals for the same employment.

executive resume toronto May 24, 2021 at 4:45 pm

You will want to guarantee that a professional cover letter grabs your potential company, presents you in the most positive light, plus leads them to pay attention to your resume so they can select you for the interview. Due to the large number of resumes sent to every job offer in today’s market, an expertly-written cover letter often becomes the leading decision factor between whether you score an interview – or get dropped into the garbage!

professional resume writing services ontario May 27, 2021 at 11:59 am

These days, organizations need to see the actual job title you want to apply for – but a general resume never includes it. Plus, they quickly wish to find out what positively makes you a better choice – while a general resume forces you to look the same as the other 399 general resumes they have already seen submitted.

executive resume writing canada May 31, 2021 at 11:56 am

Choosing the Duties-and-Responsibilities resume technique, will make sure that your resume lines a garbage can! Hiring decision-makers don’t care anymore about what you were assigned to do at prior occupations. In actual fact, they need to see the unique added value you have made.

https://topphimhot.net June 1, 2021 at 4:03 am

Best view i have ever seen !

professional resume ontario June 7, 2021 at 10:49 pm

Current companies will not go through each of the 400 plus resumes they receive – for just one employment opening! The truth is, they’ll quickly discard ninety-five percent of them, if a resume fails to hold the reader’s interest.

resume writers barrie June 9, 2021 at 11:13 pm

In today’s job market, organizations don’t go through every one of the four hundred or greater resumes they get – for just one job posting! Alternatively, they’ll quickly throw out 95 of them, if a resume does not manage to grab the reader’s attention.

professional resume writers ottawa June 14, 2021 at 8:41 pm

In today’s job market, companies won’t pay attention to each of the 500 or higher resumes they get – for every job offering! Rather, they’ll happily throw away ninety percent of them, if any resume does nothing to hold the reader’s attention.

executive resume writing canada June 16, 2021 at 8:29 pm

Most job searchers don’t know that 4 out of 5 jobs (especially virtually every one of the best work), are only hired within the “hidden” employment market. Thus the key to rocketing your job results, is to find out the primary reasons the highest-paying occupations are available only within this concealed career market, rather than the pathetic “mainstream” media or online career market.

professional resumes barrie June 22, 2021 at 4:47 pm

Current employers won’t pay attention to all of the five hundred plus resumes dumped on them – for just one job offering! In actual fact, they will immediately throw out 95 of them, if a resume fails to capture the reader’s attention.

Fibroids But No Periods June 29, 2021 at 10:26 am

It’s actually a cool and useful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this useful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

Marshall Sayloe July 5, 2021 at 6:53 pm

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how can we communicate?